Friday 1 March 2013

Alexander McQueen, International Networking, and Women's Shoes: Meet Luiz Tuazon! - Web 2.0 - Blogs

<p>Our BizzView '08 circuit is really a quest into the hearts, minds and everyday lives of real business people in the year 2008. When we first announced the weekly segment to our blog I immediately contacted today's guest realizing how his great insight would benefit the community. Luiz Tuazon is his name. Luiz is a photographer and an artist, he's also a marketing guru and genuine entrepreneur. In my opinion, he's a realized living legend who percieves life from the greatest angles. Luiz knows more people around the globe than anyone I've ever met. Why Luiz? He's one of the most authentic and magnetic people you'll ever meet contributing to his success especially when it comes to networking. Well, here it is, uncut and hot off the press with Luiz Tuazon... </p>

<p>BF: Luiz, please tell us a little about yourself, your background and current projects.</p>

<p>Luiz: I grew up in southern California and graduated from UCSD in 2003 with a degree in International relations. For the past few years, I've been working with a line of fashion for women's shoes called Naughty Monkey. Naughty Monkey shoes can be found in better boutiques and Nordstrom nationwide. I'm also currently working on a few [top secret] projects that will be launched in 2008, so I will keep you posted on the happenings. I'm motivated by my loving family and friends and I'm passionate about culture, travel, nature, the arts, and living for the joy of moment. </p>

<p>BF: What is your take on what we understand as "career"? </p>

<p>Luiz: The American thinking of a career is most generally measured upon the amount of money you make and the set of corporate benefits you're given. A career is thought to be glamorous and is associated with a step up in the social ladder. First and foremost, a career should not feel like a job. You live a career and work a job. I have respect for those who have had the same job/career for a number of years, but I also have the same respect for people who have had multiple careers in the same amount of time. For example, Iceland is home to some of the happiest people in the world. I read an interview about a hipster yuppie living in the capital city of Reykjavik. At the age of 37 he had already worked as a graphic designer, professor of literature, real estate developer, a professional backgammon player, and is now DJ producing dance music for his own independent record label. These resumes are common in Iceland as it is encouraged to try new things in the pursuit of self-
fulfillment without the stigma of failure. If this thinking works in a country of only 300K people, there is no reason that this can't be applied to our land of opportunity. Also, consider that this idea of the modern day career is a luxury and opportunity that one creates for himself. A career does not have to be the highest paying or prestigious situation, but it must be a rewarding endeavour of choice.</p>

<p>BF: Do you travel often for business? What are the best/worst parts about it?</p>

<p>Luiz: I travel constantly for business. As of today, I've been home about a dozen nights this year. The best parts of travel is that I am able to be in tune with the business and have a broad range of reactions and feedback. In fashion, not everything works everywhere so it is important to know how product is being received in multiple environments so you understand what product to place in certain areas. The parts of travel I can do without, is being away from home, family and friends. I especially do not like missing out on special occasions and random milestones that cannot be enjoyed second-hand. As much as I travel, I do love the comforts of home. On the other hand, the parts I enjoy most about travel are the excitement of being in a new place and all the possibilities which that presents. I've had some of the most memorable experiences and have met so many incredible people while traveling for business. </p>

<p>BF: Who are your role models and why?</p>

<p>Luiz: My parents, brother, and sister are tops followed by my closest circle of friends. I thank them all for their love, support, guidance, patience, and for the joy they provide. Outside people I personally know, I admire individuals who are independently successful and creators of their own destiny. I also admire dreamers and people who strive to add positivity in the lives of others. Some of these admired individuals currently living their work include Sir Ranulph Fiennes(adventurer/author), Philip Knight (founder of Nike), Matthew Barney (artist), Alexander McQueen (designer), Magic Johnson (NBA legend/entrepreneur), Anthony Bourdain (chef), and Wes Andersen (film maker).</p>

<p>BF: Recently, what's been playing most frequently on your IPOD?</p>

<p>Luiz: Music is truly the soundtrack to my life. The songs and melodies I listen too, are dependent on my location and mood and add to the atmosphere of each moment. There are too many to list, but most recently I've been listening to Gotan Project, Mason Jennings, Ibrahim Ferrer, Cut Copy and the soundtrack to the movie "Once". </p>

<p>BF: What advice would you give to someone just graduating from college about to enter the "real world"?</p>

<p>Luiz: It is a must that you identify the most important things in your life and everything enjoyable to you, and make that the foundation of your career. Growing up, all I wanted to be was an foreign Ambassador or Diplomat. Throughout college, my studies were centered around gaining knowledge and tools that would lead to this goal that I had set for myself. I graduated and moved to Washington DC to purse this goal, but after living the lifestyle in the actual environment, I learned that it was not the life for me. The night of this realization was sleepless. I had spent years working towards a goal that was not something that I truly wanted. Then I understood that knowing this now is better than realizing this years down the road, trapped neck deep in a position that I never wanted. Anxiety turned to excitement because the world was now limitless. Though I didn't know exactly what I wanted to do, I knew exactly what I didn't want to do. Sometimes this is just as useful as
knowing what you want to do. So I left it all and traveled for a year to clear the head and refocus. I found an opportunity to experience that fashion industry and have been working in it for the past three years.I have always had a deep appreciation for style and fashion so my work is a part of my personality that I've been exploring professionally. At the end of the day, you must know that the day was not wasted chasing someone else's dreams, or you will never have a good night's rest.</p>

<p>BF: What are some tips you could give on building networks?</p>

<p>Luiz: I've been told by many people that I am gifted at this, but I can never accept that as a compliment or really explain why and how. It really is a topic that I feel uncomfortable with because I do not view networking as a skill that I've worked to gain. Amongst my personal and professional circles, I've become a source for any random thing they need help with. I do admit that I do know a large number of diverse people, but that has happened organically. It is part of my personality to connect with many different people. I never meet someone and expect that they can miraculously hold a key to the rest of the world and then plot to steal that key. My personal and professional relationships are all based on a certain level of mutual respect and trust. People can really see through those hyper-aggressive individuals who are opportunistic users, and avoid them. With all that being said, here are some tips to build your network: </p>

<p>1) You will attract and come across people than can help you professionally in all sorts of settings, just be sincere and honest in your communication and your network will grow accordingly. </p>

<p>2) When you do meet someone that you would like to keep in touch with, do so. Walk the walk. People loose respect for you when you say you'll keep in touch, or are requested to do so, and you do not. </p>

<p>3) Never offer things that you cannot deliver. </p>

<p>4) You have only 50% control of your reputation. I say 50% because judgments and perceptions are made by individuals through what they hear and observe. At times, these may not be the most accurate interpretations of you. Be aware.</p>

<p>BF: How do you personally keep in contact with everyone all around the world? Tips?</p>

<p>Luiz: Keeping in touch with friends should be a pleasure and never a chore. Think of the closest people to you and figure out why you keep in touch with them and apply this to everyone you want to stay connected with.There should be a feeling of shamelessness in each and every one of these relationships. I take the feeling from the last conversation in that little cafe or from that heart wrenching goodbye at the airport and hold on to it until the next time we meet. During a conversation or even when writing an email, I give each person all of my attention and communicate without haste. Distance is no obstacle, it may actually strengthen a relationship. I have friends in different parts of the world whom I make plans with regularly as if we were living on the same block, it just takes a bit more planning and energy. Most importantly, is that I stay true to my word at all times and am open with everyone. Honor and integrity are qualities that endure in friendships.</p>

<p>I want to extend a huge thanks to Luiz for taking time out of his busy schedule to share some of his natural entrepreneurship savyness. Just in case he's not already one of your top friends on Facebook, feel free to contact Luiz at
</p>

<br><br><br><br><a href="http://iautoblog.com">iAutoblog</a> the premier <a href="http://iautoblog.com">autoblogger</a> software

No comments:

Post a Comment